Friday, January 21, 2011

Lazer Tag Host Binaries part 2

Ok, I took the previous post of binaries down because I thought those binaries might have been broken but it was just me. Here is a new link. They are tested and work in ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7. I know in windows 7 I had to install gtk# as well to get it to open. If your arduino isn't programed the app may hang, if it isn't plugged in you should be fine but won't get past the setup menu.

Download gtk 2.22
More Versions

Update: You also need a recent version of GTK installed in addition to gtk#.
Update 2: It appears that the release version doesn't work for everyone. Try the debug version if you are having issues.

4 comments:

Deskhopper said...

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a port of this to the nokia n900. it is a open source linux based internet tablet with a built in IR. I don't know if it can receive IR signals but it can definitely send them out

afaucher said...

You need both send and receive. The host is written in C# and Gtk# and the transceiver is on the arduino over usb. You could port/replace either the host or the receiver fairly easily. The code is pretty straitfoward. I don't have a n900 I am not going to do it for you. I would gladly provide any assitance I can though. It if runs mono and has USB no porting should be nessicary.

A note on the IR, more specificly I used a 940nm LED with a 32k carrier (no idea what HW support it has for IR TX), and the receiver needs a 32k demodulator. I swapped in a 56k during my testing and it worked fine but it probably (didn't test) gets more errors during receive. Unless the IR is supposed to be a universal remote type thing you probably have both ways but only a demod/carrier set for whatever the standard IR data port is. I found that my reciver could pick up signals from the remotes I had handy as well as the guns.

Jammer said...

Could this be run on an iPhone? The trick I imagine would be to get the iPhone connected somehow to the Arduino unit - probably needs a special cable.

Deskhopper said...

Connecting the arduino board to the n900 is very doable most of the stuff i have seen has it connected via bluetooth. however as I lack the technological knowledge to do any of it at this point I am going to learn. It may take me a long while but I will let you know if I make any progress.